Thursday, January 4, 2007

Get used to it!

I can't believe Todd is deleting my posts from the other No Shame blog. How upsetting. I guess he figured one blog is all I get? I'm going to talk to him about it.

Anyway, on to brighter news: I have the words written for one more song. That puts us at 4 total. One more and I should have enough for a solid ep. I hope these songs are actually getting recorded, I'm very anxious to hear them, and to remove the demo vocals and replace them with my own. But I guess before that happens it would be good to get some feedback from other people, see if this project is even worth my time. So when you get these tracks finished up, play them for people, would you? I'm interested in what the reaction will be. If you're doing the songs how I asked then I'm pretty confident people will like them. You can't go wrong when you've got good material, I always say. But I digress: on to the new song.

This song is, in many ways, the most serious song I've ever written. It's a character study, basically, about two very brave, kind-hearted brothers, who happen to both be gay. It's called "Homosexual Andy & Homosexual Miguel". I wanted the title to be really up front, almost in your face, like the brothers are saying, "We're here, we're queer -- get used to it!"

"Homosexual Andy & Homosexual Miguel"

Homosexual Andy & Homosexual Miguel
They're both gay and they're both brothers as well
They're not gay for each other
They're both gay for their lovers
Like a father's son
Or a mother's daughter
They're not gay for each other
They're gay supportive brothers
(bridge)
It's OK to be gay
It's OK no matter what they say
Love will always find a way
(verse)
They're two angels who both fell
How can it be wrong to tell... the truth?
Why won't their parents let them tell the truth?
Homosexual Andy & Homosexual Miguel
The truth will set them free
Let homosexuality be what it may
Homosexual Andy & Homosexual Miguel
Went to the same highschool, the same college as well
They both realized they were gay in highschool but didn't tell
Till they got to college
They were fortified by this new knowledge... of gayness
Now life doesn't seem so hard to get through
Because they always have someone to go to
When the world's gettin' them down
Sometimes a smile, sometimes a frown
But one of these days they'll drive
Back to their home town
They'll look their parents straight into the eyes
And tell them that they both like guys
They both like guys
Homosexual Andy & Homosexual Miguel
Homosexual Miguel & Homosexual Andy
Isn't life oh so dandy
Now that you have a brother to lean on?
Now that the world knows that dudes are who you're keen on?
(Instrumental break)
By the way, both the brothers were black
Hooray for those courageous black gay brothers

Do you think you can do this song justice, guys? I want it to be an acoustic ballad sort of a thing. Pretty stripped down. Vocals, acoustic guitar, maybe a simple rhythm section. As for the instrumental section, I'll leave that up to you. But in general I want the verses to just go between E major and A major, with the singing primarily happening on the E chord for two measures, and then the A chord mostly alone for two measures. You know:

(E)___________________________(A)
Homosexual Andy & Homosexual Miguel...
(E)_____________________________________________(A)
Went to the same highschool, the same college as well...

I know I'm being a little picky about this one, but it's kind of important to me. In fact, if you're not up to the task, let me know up front, OK? I would rather not do this song at all than do it badly. But I really do want to do it, I think it's the kind of song the world needs to hear right now. OK, I've gone on too long already. I'll give it a rest. Good luck with this one, guys, I'm very much looking forward to hearing the results.

3 comments:

Michael Tabor said...

We're totally up to the task! I'm so, so excited about this song. I really look at it as a therapeutic opportunity! I hope it can become some sort of bonding/mending song.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I definitely think we can make this work. I was a little surprised by the lyrics at first, but I guess that's sort of the point, right? No holds barred, raw honesty? Maybe Michael and I can get to work on it tonight.
Also, we finished up "The Party Stuff" a couple days ago. I hope you'll be pleased. It's pretty out there, but I think it sounds cool. Michael wrote a great organ part, and we put this trippy note-bending effect on some of the guitar parts. I can't wait to hear these songs once you put the final vocals on them.

Anonymous said...

Well said.